Subscribe now to No Depression, the premier journal on roots music. Each issue of the quarterly journal features long-form articles, insightful artist profiles, original illustrations, and stunning photography. Plus, your subscription helps the FreshGrass Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, keep the future of roots music and music journalism alive.
When you subscribe today, you will receive our newest quarterly print journal. But you’ll also feel good knowing that you’re supporting No Depression’s free website stories and other independent work.
Each issue of No Depression features long-form articles about the best in roots music each quarter, and the Winter 2022 edition of No Depression is the first to feature a guest editor! The incomparable Margo Price kicks off this initiative by helping come up with a story idea about vinyl production bottlenecks and writing the closing Screen Door essay.
Included in this issue:
- On the Same Page: Hawktail's sheet music prints go deeper than notation - Stacy Chandler
- Out of the Shadows: Anthology Recordings chronicles the many lives of Norma Tanega - Jim Shahen
- Lift Every Voice: The Black Legacy Project honors history and surmounts differences through dialogue and music - Kim Ruehl
- An Anchor in Austin: Angela Strehli's "Ace of Blues" resurrects Antone's Records, the label she helped launch decades ago - Will Hodge
- The Substance of Sunstack - Lo Carmen
- The Bolero Connection: iLe and Adrian Quesada modernize Latin traditions - Judy Cantor-Navas
- Band from the North Country: Hayde Bluegrass Orchestra hones American sound in Norway - Millan Verma
- More than "Pretty Good:" Remastered recordings revive Hazel Dickens' and Alice Gerrard's legacy - Katherine Turman
- Still Standing: Mississippi Chitlin' Circuit venue 100 Men Hall weathers a century of storms and change - Jim Beaugez
- Vinyl, Interrupted: Roots musicians navigate production delays and find creative alternatives - Laura Scholz
- Album Reviews - Featuring some of the best roots music albums in recent months
- Screen Door: Gold Star - Margo Price
- Original design by Marcus Amaker
- Original cover art by Benjamin Rumble
- Historical photos by Carl Fleischhauer and John Cohen, courtesy of Smithsonian Folkways
The digital copy of the Winter 2022 edition will be emailed to subscribers on December 9th.