Subscribe now to No Depression – the premier journal on roots music. Each issue of the quarterly journal features long-form articles, insightful artist profiles, original illustrations, and stunning photography. Plus, your subscription helps the FreshGrass Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, keep the future of roots music and music journalism alive.
When you subscribe today, you will receive our newest quarterly print journal. But you’ll also feel good knowing that you’re supporting No Depression’s free website stories and other independent work.
Following up on the success of Summer 2023’s issue with guest editor Dom Flemons, No Depression returns with another book of long-form, multi-sourced journalism highlighting the roots music’s stars and up-and-comers.
Although the season might be cooling down, the upcoming roots music releases are just heating up. The Fall 2023 issue will include profiles on GRAMMY and Tony-nominated singer-songwriter Brandy Clark and soul legend Bettye LaVette (herself a long-time No Depression supporter!). Additionally, this issue will tackle underreported issues like the rise of unions within the music industry — from labels like The Secretly Group and platforms like Bandcamp — and the roots musicians like Mipso and The Mountain Goats who are involved in these efforts.
No Depression is committed to producing the best roots music coverage, both in print and online at nodepression.com.
Included in this issue:
- The 30th anniversary of Counting Crows’ August and Everything After
- A profile on Brandy Clark in the wake of her new, self-titled album and Tony Award nomination for Shucked
- A profile on soul legend Bettye LaVette
- An inside look at various unionization movements with the music industry
- A feature on the kulintang instrument (from the Philippines) and contemporary groups like Pantayo bringing back this ancient tool within roots music
- The incredible story of how Tony Rice’s famed guitar got to Billy Strings
- How Júlia Colom is reinventing Mallorca’s Tonada Tradition
- The resurgence of cowboy poetry, highlighting a reissue set of works by Roxy Gordon
... And so much more!
- Original design by Marcus Amaker
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes photos from The Birthplace of Country Music’s new special exhibit, “I’ve Endured: Women in Old-Time Music”
The digital copy of the Summer 2023 edition will be emailed to subscribers on September 12th.